This weekend was the NEATO campout at Arcadia WMA in RI. We logged over 6 hours of saddle time and 29+ miles of riding. It presented the perfect opportunity for our family to test out camping with the travel trailer (without hookups), 5 horses, and multiple days of riding. Friday afternoon I traded in the Acadia for a used Chevy 2500HD. It was a decision Anna and I have been debating for a while and we finally found the deal we were looking for. Within about an hour of driving the truck off the lot, it was hooked up to the travel trailer and we were headed out to set up camp.
While the camping area only had a few others staying over, we practiced setting up in a compact manner as will need to at endurance rides. It took about an hour and a half to set up camp. We made 5 electric fence paddocks for the horses (each horse in a separate paddock). None of the paddocks shared sides so if any 1 horse runs through their fence, it doesn’t result in other loose horses.
Once the horse were settled in, we cooked some burgers on the grill and at dinner (a little after 9)!
One of the major advantages of this weekend was the proximity to home. Anna left before 10 and went home (less than 20 minutes away) to take care of the dogs, rabbits, and horses not at camp. With temperatures in the 50s overnight, we slept great and the horses were not bothered by bugs.
We got up Saturday morning and cooked eggs and bacon for breakfast. Alex spent all his spare time reading books and finished 3 books over the weekend.
The temperatures on Saturday stayed in the 60s. We had a couple of small rain showers early, but nothing too bad. We finally headed out about 10 for our morning ride. The horse/rider combos were Rob on Mojo, Anna on Amira, Alex on Teddy, Vicki on Duchess, and Amanda on Huey. We got in 11 miles before lunch at about a 4.5mph average. The point of the weekend wasn’t speed, but rather logistics. We spent time working on things like walking horses into water, fueling the riders, and taking turns with leading the group.
While drinking from the creek, Amira and Huey both slid off the sand bar and went for a swim. What is a “little deeper” for Amira was a complete swim for Huey. Amanda loved it. When we took them in a pond for water, Amira discovered it was fun to splash lots of water up onto her belly.
Overall, it was a good morning ride. All the horses had excellent heart rate recoveries and were happy to eat some hay and drink some water when we got back to camp. We had lunch and then retired to the trailer for an afternoon rest (also known as napping).
We went back out for another slow and easy ride before dinner that was just shy of 5 miles. Dinner was tacos in the trailer and then we joined up with some others for a campfire. Again, Anna headed home to take care of the others. It’s easy to get kids to go to bed after 3.5 hours of riding.
Sunday morning was a little slower starting as we slept in a little. More eggs and bacon to start the day and then we saddled up to ride. The temperature was a little warmer (70s) and a little more humid. The horses were all a bit calmer than on Saturday. We focused the ride on forced fueling as we had some issues on Saturday with some (Vicki) constantly running out of fuel. This is a recurring issue that we haven’t completely solved. We are making progress, but it comes down to forcing her to eat every 30-40 min on the trail.
When it was all done, we rode over 29 miles and spent over 6 hours in the saddle. Mojo and Teddy both still pulsed down with no problems. The ponies and Amira were a little slower pulsing down after the last ride, but all 3 would have met endurance ride criteria.
- We used ALL of the water in the travel trailer. In the future, we will use paper products when dry camping to minimize the use of water for washing dishes.
- Horse water. We used over 90 gallons of water for the horses in under 48 hours. That doesn’t include what they drank on the trail. Right now we take a water tank in the trailer that is full, plus 4- 7 gal water jugs that can be refilled. We may add another water tank to the bed of the truck.
- Electric fence. Our setup is pretty good they way we have it. We can streamline a few things by adding a few more extension cord reels for storage, but it’s not critical.
- Tack. The tack for all the horses is working pretty well. We are debating changing out Teddy’s saddle and bridle setup, but what we have works for now.
- Boots. Amira and Huey are still being booted. We had boot problems on Huey 4 times. I think it’s time to put him into shoes. Probably Amira too.
At the end of the weekend, we all had a good time and all the horses are ready to go to Pinetree in 6 weeks. We will continue to train and plan for a week of camping with 5 horses!